THE CRUCIAL ROLE OF RELATIONSHIP IN ORGANIZATIONAL CONSULTING PSYCHOLOGY: WHAT DOES “EXCELLENCE” LOOK LIKE?
VICKI V. VANDAVEER, PHD -- Consulting and Coaching Psychologist, and Founder and Chief Executive of The Vandaveer Group, Inc. -- Houston, Texas, USA
This presentation will focus on the critically important role of relationship in organizational consulting by psychologists, including what “excellence” looks like - and implications for the consulting psychologist.
Effective relationship with the client is multi-faceted, complex, often uncomfortable, always challenging, and immensely satisfying when the client-consultant team achieve or exceed the desired results.
Just a few of the facets addressed will be (a) multiple “clients” even if consulting only to one “primary client”; (b) trust; (c) ethics and morality in consulting - our obligations; and (d) Vandaveer’s “17 C’s of Excellence in Consulting”, the first 6 (“The Big Six”) of which are Confidentiality, Competence, Candor, Caring, Courage and Commitment.
Schein, EH (1999). Process consultation revisited: Building the helping relationship. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley.
Block, Peter (2011). Flawless consulting: A guide to getting your expertise used. San Francisco: Wiley.
Lowman, RL (2002). Handbook of Organizational Consulting Psychology, San Francisco: Jossey-Bass (Chapters 17 and 27).
Thirty-five years of experience include 12 years inside two Fortune 50 global corporations and the past 24 years in national and international consulting in a variety of industries and in different cultures in 22 countries on five continents. Clients include large international, and medium-size and small companies in oil and gas, energy services, engineering and construction; consumer products; academic medical centers; healthcare systems, and professional services firms.
Consulting and coaching psychologist, Founder and Chief Executive of the The Vandaveer Group based in Houston, Texas, Dr. Vandaveer’s primary areas of expertise include:
Trusted Leadership Advisor
- All aspects of individual, group, and organizational performance, behavioral dynamics, and change
Executive Assessment and Coaching
- Uses: (a) input to selection decisions; (b) individual development
- Individual and/or Team Coaching to improve business results through effective leadership
Team Development and Conflict Resolution
- High performing leadership teams
- Professional Services Firms - Partner Team Development and Conflict Resolution
- Fellow – American Psychological Association; Society of I/O Psychology; and Society of Consulting Psychology
- President – Society of Consulting Psychology (2014-15)
- Honorary Vice President – ISCP