Seminar: ICT and learning as a stabiliser and dynamism for capacity building in Universities in the ”South”
This seminar will address how ICT and learning may play a vital role for the universities in the ”South”, when addressing challenges like how to become contributors to the global knowledge economy, offer higher education and university degrees for many more students, and subsequently ensure, that the students get employed and thus can spread their new ideas. The seminar will take point of departure in the collaboration projects with Universidad Nacional in Costa Rica and GULU University in Uganda.
19.09.2016 kl. 13.00 - 15.30
Universities in the ”South” as the centers for knowledge production are facing a number of challenges. One of the challenges is to become an active contributor to the global knowledge economy, another is to keep up with new ways of teaching and learning and to offer higher education and university degrees for many more students. A third challenge is to make sure, that the students get employed and through this contribute to bring new ideas to as well the private sector as the civil societies. This seminar will address how ICT and learning may play a vital role, when addressing these challenges. A related issue is, that knowledge production, teaching and learning are not value free, however are embedded in socio-cultural, historical and political constructs. Therefor, how to work in South – North collaboration projects? Which pedagogical approaches to promote? and what kind of ICT approaches to fight for?
The overall idea of the seminar is to get closer to a human centred approach to ICT4D
The seminar will take point of departure in the collaboration projects with Universidad Nacional in Costa Rica and GULU University in Uganda. The GULU project is part of the bigger national initiative, Building Stronger Universities, which has a focus on research capacity building in universities in developing countries
- Welcome by professor Lone Dirckinck-Holmfeld, the ICT4D group and e-Learning Lab
- Professor Olman Segura Bonilla (and former rector): A policy and national system of innovation perspective on capacity building and ICT in teaching and learning .
- Comments from within: PhD Candidate Willy Castro Guzman (former head of UNA Virtual):
- ICT as stabiliser and dynamism - a socio cultural perspective, By associate professor, Pär-Ola Zander, chair of the ICT4D group
- Comments from within: PhD Candidate Geoffrey Tabo (former Head of Informatics Department, GULU)
We hope many students and colleagues will join us
the planning team: Pär-Ola, Willy, Heilyn and Lone
The ICT4D group in eLearning Lab
Design Lab, room 6.235 Rendsburggade 14, Aalborg